Montana has a bonus point system in place for all special permits (deer, elk, antelope, sheep, moose and mountain goat). Every year that you are unsuccessful in the drawing, and you participate in the bonus point system, you will be awarded a point. When you apply in the draw your accrued points are squared to increase the odds exponentially for the applicants with more accrued points. For example, if you have four base bonus points those will be squared and you will then have 16 bonus points going into the drawing. All base bonus points accumulate over time until you draw a permit.
Montana also has a preference point system for Big Game Combination, Elk Combination, and Deer Combination Licenses. Preference points increase the chances of drawing a combination license and essentially move you ahead in line. 75% of all combination licenses awarded during the drawing will be issued to hunters with preference points. The remaining 25% are then allocated to those who have not purchased points. Anyone applying with three preference points will draw the license before anyone with two, and so on. Preference points accumulated will be used during the current drawing whether you purchase an additional preference point or not. Preference points are zeroed if an applicant does not apply in Montana on consecutive years.
• Preference points can be purchased for a $100 non-refundable fee.
• Preference points are available for purchase when applying for nonresident combo tags or from July 1 to December 31 for applicants who did not apply for a nonresident big game license.
• Applicants may purchase only one preference point per license year with the exception of those who are applying with an outfitter. When applying with an outfitter an applicant can purchase two points per year.